Sunday, January 30, 2011

My First Year as a Teacher in Lahad Datu

It was 1989 and I was 23 years old . I was posted to Lahad Datu and the school was Sekolah Berasrama Penuh Lahad Datu. It was not  easy for me. Firstly because it was the first time  I was sent to a far away land without my beloved family. Secondly because I had no idea of what kind of place it was. When I reached Kota Kinabalu together with other new teachers from the Peninsular ( I can't recall the number but I am very sure there were many of us; more than 100 of us) , we were gathered at SBP Kota Kinabalu where we were given the names of our schools. Many left for their respective schools the following day but unfortunately I had to stay an extra night there as I did not receive my air ticket to Lahad Datu. 


Two days later I took a flight to Lahad Datu and was sent to SBPLD. Although the distance was only less than 7 km,  it took me more than 2 hours to reach the school. The road was terrible, the journey was awful; my head knocked the roof of the trooper many times and the bumpy journey made me dizzy. It wasn't a good start at all. I was crying inside at the same time praying hard that I could reach the school in one piece. Luckily, the school clerk ( a Johorian I think ) was in the trooper too, at least her presence made me feel a little safe......I couldn't wait to reach the school and get out from this torturing journey.....