SPEECH WRITING [ Semi-controlled writing exercise for SEP students ]
You are asked to give a speech during the “ World Green Day “ at your school assembly. Write out your speech entitled “Gardening Should be Introduced in School”. You may use the points below:
Why Gardening should be introduced in school?
- Plants - important to people and animals
- To create awareness about the importance of environment
- helps students to unwind
- Students can learn to make a living out of soil
- helps students to be closer to nature
- encourages cooperation and team work
When writing out your speech, you should remember to
- · Address the audience
- · Introduce the topic of your speech
- · Elaborate your points
- · End your speech appropriately
THERE ARE ONLY 6 CONTENT POINTS. TOTAL MARKS FOR CONTENT IN DIRECTED WRITING IS 12 MARKS, AND THIS MEANS THE OTHER 6 MARKS ARE TAKEN FROM THE ELABORATION OF THESE POINTS. SO, REMEMBER TO PROVIDE ELABORATION FOR EACH POINT.
Here are some sentences you can use to write your speech
1. Greet your audience
· Good morning, teachers and friends…
· A very good morning to the principal, teachers……
· Good day to all of you and thank you for coming.
2. Start your speech / talk with purpose
· I would like to talk about….
· Today, I am going to give a speech and the title is..
· In conjunction with the school “Environment Week”, I would like to deliver a speech entitled…..
3. Elaborate or give more information
· Let us look at what other people think about this problem…
· Next, there is the problem of students not……….
· To illustrate my point, let us consider the current problems faced by students
· Another danger is….
4. Emphasise your points
· I believe that by reading, we are able to……….
· I must point out that …….
· I am positive that many of us…
· There is no doubt…..
5. Conclude your view
· After all I have said earlier, I hope that we can…
· Now it is clear that we should ….
· In conclusion, the environment must be saved…..
· I leave you with this message, “Prevention is better than Cure”
6. Thank the audience
· I thank you for being a wonderful audience
· I hope to share more of my thoughts and views with you, thank you
· With that I thank you
· You have been very patient with me and thank you for listening to my speech